Wednesday, May 1, 2013

GOLF AT SPIRIT RIDGE IN OSOYOOS

by Julie H. Ferguson

Looking down to Spirit Ridge Resort and the lake




After two cold and blustery days, this morning dawned calm and warm, so I headed for the golf course behind Spirit Ridge Resort  one of four courses in easy reach of Osoyoos, BC. I've been keen to try this course for about three years and this was my first opportunity.





It's a nine-hole, executive course, called Sonoran Dunes (website for this course appears to be down) and was ideal for me to play after a winter lay-off. There is one par-5, and two par-3s,
and the rest are par-4s. The course is in perfect condition and, of course, not busy out of season. I literally just walked on and played a solo round, which was just as well. Although only one hole has water, the surrounding desert may just as well be, as you are not allowed to step into this fragile ecosystem and find your errant balls. I was happy that carts are allowed on the fairways, indeed the cart paths peter out just below the tee boxes. I guess the reason is preservation of the desert, not grass. I found the greens slow after playing in the Lower Mainland where they're usually fast. Golfers are often playing balls above or below their feet as this course is laid out on a slope. Balls tend to run down to the lake on both the fairways and the greens.

I loved the challenges, the views are nothing short of spectacular, and it cost me $30 for the round, incl. the power cart. Time to play - about an hour and a half by myself. I took a bit longer as I was also taking photos.

The water's in play on the tricky, par-3, 8th


ALL IMAGES: © Photos by Pharos  2013. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment