Thursday, March 29, 2012

MY PROBLEM WITH BUCKET LISTS...

I've been many places but still haven't really made much of a dent in my bucket list. The more I travel, the more countries I add. The list is getting impossibly long and with this comes a measure of frustration because, at my age, I'll probably not get through it all.

So my travel philosophy is morphing. Wherever I visit now, I spend more time. I want to enjoy each place in more depth than I have in the past - observing, photographing, researching, interviewing. True, I see less, but I see it better. My satisfaction is enhanced and my ability to write about the location is improved. I'm beginning to relinquish the desire to see a little of a lot.

Is this on your bucket list?
© Julie H. Ferguson  2010
I've been identifying places I must visit again. Here are my top three:
  • The Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA, gobsmacked me. I'd like to stay close by for a week so I can go river rafting, take the mule trek down into the canyon, and do some serious photography.
  • Africa captured my heart. Price-friendly and awe-inspiring, I missed so much, while seeing so much.
  • Cinque Terre, Italy: five gorgeous villages hang on the cliffs of the Ligurian Riviera. They are connected by hiking trails or by boat. A place to hang out for a spell.
     
My four favourite cities:
  • Paris for its culture, food and wine.
  • Cape Town for everything about it!
  • London - I grew up here and never tire of its history.
  • Vancouver for its geographic beauty and recreation. I live here and enjoy the golf and foodie scene.

..patagonia
Patagonia (Photo credit: PerfĂ­dia)
Places I yearn to visit:
  • Antarctica
  • Galapagos
  • Namibia
  • China
  • Patagonia




Ask me in a year what this list contains and I'll bet it will be quite different - it's the nature of the beast.

What's on your travel list?

Enhanced by Zemanta