Thursday, March 29, 2012

MY PROBLEM WITH BUCKET LISTS...

I've been many places but still haven't really made much of a dent in my bucket list. The more I travel, the more countries I add. The list is getting impossibly long and with this comes a measure of frustration because, at my age, I'll probably not get through it all.

So my travel philosophy is morphing. Wherever I visit now, I spend more time. I want to enjoy each place in more depth than I have in the past - observing, photographing, researching, interviewing. True, I see less, but I see it better. My satisfaction is enhanced and my ability to write about the location is improved. I'm beginning to relinquish the desire to see a little of a lot.

Is this on your bucket list?
© Julie H. Ferguson  2010
I've been identifying places I must visit again. Here are my top three:
  • The Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA, gobsmacked me. I'd like to stay close by for a week so I can go river rafting, take the mule trek down into the canyon, and do some serious photography.
  • Africa captured my heart. Price-friendly and awe-inspiring, I missed so much, while seeing so much.
  • Cinque Terre, Italy: five gorgeous villages hang on the cliffs of the Ligurian Riviera. They are connected by hiking trails or by boat. A place to hang out for a spell.
     
My four favourite cities:
  • Paris for its culture, food and wine.
  • Cape Town for everything about it!
  • London - I grew up here and never tire of its history.
  • Vancouver for its geographic beauty and recreation. I live here and enjoy the golf and foodie scene.

..patagonia
Patagonia (Photo credit: PerfĂ­dia)
Places I yearn to visit:
  • Antarctica
  • Galapagos
  • Namibia
  • China
  • Patagonia




Ask me in a year what this list contains and I'll bet it will be quite different - it's the nature of the beast.

What's on your travel list?

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. On my list, Julie?
    Royal Chitwan National Park, Nepal to see tigers from elephant-back is probably #1.
    Ride a camel through the desert, preferably the Sahara, on at least a three-day trek.
    Whitewater raft in Asia, Australia and Europe to add to trips in Africa, South America and North America.
    See wild African grey parrots in their native habitat. (You knew parrots had to be in there, somewhere!)
    Ride the Orient Express.
    There's plenty more, but those are my BIG 5.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, John. I didn't include my current idea - a camel safari in the Negev. But, it's in there...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egypt(especially Alexandria); Jordan; more of Turkey; Cook Islands. Closer to home, Arizona.

    ReplyDelete