Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TRAVEL WRITERS NEED MENTIONS ON INFLUENTIAL BLOGS...

On April 4/2012 I learned that the five images of South Africa I submitted to the Digital Photography School's (dPS) Travel Photography Inspiration Project were all published at http://digital-photography-school.com/travel-photography-inspiration-project-south-africa.

On April 9 two of my pix were chosen for the France project at http://digital-photography-school.com/travel-photography-inspiration-project-france and in five days, my Flickr pages were viewed over 2800 times.
Time for a dip?
Time for a dip? © Julie H. Ferguson 2011

Of course, I'm thrilled. However, the reason I'm writing about the news is not to brag but explain why I bother to submit my photos to non-paying blogs and websites.

Travel writers need to:
  • Take photos to illustrate their text;
  • Publish images and photo essays on influential, high traffic websites and blogs to increase visibility and provide credibility when pitching to new markets. (dPS has four million unique visitors per month);
  • Publish text and images to earn re-qualification for the professional travel writing/photography associations;
  • Keep track of which images are published where for Access Copyright, the agency that pays creators in Canada a small annual royalty for their print publications. Your country probably has a similar government agency.
St-Malo. © Julie H. Ferguson 2011

Obviously to achieve the above writers must keep detailed records of where and when their work/images were published in print and online. I record in several ways:
  • On a detailed spreadsheet for both articles and images;
  • Print out all images and articles, and keep them in binders in date order;
  • On my publication list, which I keep up-to-date on my website;
  • On Flickr, I note the publication info for every image as part of its caption. I collect my published images in a Flickr "set" by year and occasionally by location too. This also makes it easy for editors to view them if I give them the set's URL, rather than URLs for individual images. (Click on © statement below each image here and you'll see the captions). These URLs on Flickr also provide a "paper trail" should I need it, especially for Access Copyright.
I'm sure other readers have pet methods of keeping track and I'm interested in how others do it. Please let us all know in the comments. Thx.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie: Interesting post. But please remember that you cannot submit articles or photos for which you have not rec'd payment to Access Copyright's payback system. The creator must be the copyright holder and must have rec'd payment for any intellectual property they wish to have included in their Access payback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Doreen, for adding this comment. I'm well aware of what you wrote but perhaps I should have made it more clear for aspiring Canadian travel writers.

    ReplyDelete